Egg rolls are a delicious and satisfying snack that is easy to make at home. These crispy and savory rolls are a popular appetizer in Chinese cuisine and are loved by people all over the world. In this article, we will walk you through the process of making egg rolls at home.
- Egg roll wrappers
- 1 lb ground pork or chicken
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water for sealing the egg rolls
- Oil for frying
- In a pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground pork or chicken and cook until it is no longer pink, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add the chopped onions and minced garlic to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until they are fragrant and translucent.
- Add the shredded cabbage and carrots to the pan and stir to combine with the meat and onion mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce and cornstarch until they form a paste. Add this mixture to the pan and stir to coat the meat and vegetables. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the mixture is heated through and the vegetables are slightly softened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool for a few minutes.
- To assemble the egg rolls, lay out an egg roll wrapper on a clean surface with one corner pointing towards you. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the meat and vegetable mixture onto the center of the wrapper.
- Fold the bottom corner of the wrapper up over the filling, tucking it tightly under the filling to create a neat and compact roll.
- Fold the left and right corners of the wrapper in towards the center, forming a neat envelope around the filling.
- Brush a little water on the remaining top corner of the wrapper and roll the egg roll up tightly, sealing the wrapper closed.
- Repeat this process with the remaining egg roll wrappers and filling until you have used up all the filling.
- In a large, deep pan or a deep fryer, heat the oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 350°F.
- Carefully add the egg rolls to the hot oil, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Fry the egg rolls for 3-4 minutes on each side until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the egg rolls from the oil using a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain off any excess oil.
- Serve the egg rolls hot with your favorite dipping sauce, such as sweet chili sauce or soy sauce.
Making egg rolls at home is easy and fun, and the end result is a delicious and satisfying snack that is perfect for any occasion. With this recipe, you can enjoy the flavors and textures of traditional Chinese egg rolls in the comfort of your own home.