Teriyaki chicken is a delicious Japanese dish that is loved by many. The dish consists of grilled chicken that is marinated in a sweet and savory teriyaki sauce. Making teriyaki chicken at home is easy and can be done with a few simple ingredients. In this article, we will walk you through the steps on how to make teriyaki chicken.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- In a bowl, mix together soy sauce, water, brown sugar, honey, garlic, and ginger. Stir until the brown sugar has dissolved.
- Place chicken breasts in a large plastic bag or container and pour the marinade over the chicken. Seal the bag or container and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade.
- Grill the chicken for 6-7 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water until smooth.
- In a saucepan, heat the remaining marinade over medium heat. Once it comes to a simmer, whisk in the cornstarch mixture until the sauce has thickened.
- Brush the thickened teriyaki sauce over the grilled chicken and garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
- Serve the teriyaki chicken hot with your favorite sides like rice and vegetables.
- Make sure to marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes, but no longer than 8 hours. If you marinate it for too long, the chicken can become too salty.
- You can also bake the chicken in the oven at 400°F for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
- If you want to make the dish a bit healthier, you can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. They have more fat, but they also have more flavor and tend to be juicier.
In conclusion, teriyaki chicken is a flavorful and easy dish that can be made at home with a few simple ingredients. By following these steps, you can make your own teriyaki chicken that is just as delicious as the ones you get at your favorite Japanese restaurant. Enjoy!