Pickles are a popular and delicious way to preserve cucumbers and other vegetables. They are easy to make at home and can be flavored with a variety of herbs and spices. Here’s a simple recipe for making your own pickles.
- 4-5 cucumbers (small to medium size)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 cloves of garlic (optional)
- 1 tsp dill (optional)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (optional)
- Start by washing and slicing the cucumbers. You can slice them into spears or rounds, depending on your preference.
- In a large pot, bring the water, vinegar, and salt to a boil. Add any herbs or spices you want, such as garlic or dill.
- Add the cucumber slices to the pot and bring the mixture back to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let the cucumbers simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled, pour it into sterilized jars and seal the lids.
- Let the jars sit at room temperature for at least 24 hours before storing them in the refrigerator.
- The pickles will be ready to eat after a few days, and they will keep in the refrigerator for up to a month.
- Use fresh, firm cucumbers for best results
- Sterilize your jars, lids and tongs by boiling them for 10 minutes before using them.
- To add extra flavor to your pickles, try adding spices like black peppercorns, coriander seeds, or red pepper flakes.
That’s all there is to it! With this simple recipe, you can make your own delicious pickles in no time. Enjoy!